Historic Markers Across Alabama



Wellborn



Marker ID: AHA 
Location:
County: Coffee
Coordinates:   
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Approximately two miles east. The First Seat of Justice for Coffee County, Alabama. Named for General William Wellborn, an Alabama Commander during the Creek Indian War of 1836-37. Under the Act of December 29, 1841, establishing Coffee County, Commissioners Britton T. Atkinson, James Claxton, Thomas Cole, John B. Cruise, and Amos Wiggins were named to secure a "seat of justice" not exceeding 160 acres, not more than six miles from the center of the county, and to erect thereon a court house and jail and lay off the remaining lots for sale. The court house burned in March, 1851. In 1852, by election, Elba was chosen as permanent location for the court house



Notes:

Missing 2008







End of Wellborn