Historic Markers Across Alabama



City of Elba



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: at the intersection of Factory Street and Buford Street, Elba, AL
County: Coffee
Coordinates: N 31° 24.925    W 086° 03.901
  31.41541666    -86.06501666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME5XZ
 



Text:

Elba began circa 1840. A ferry had been started across Pea River, thus beginning the town’s first name, Bridgeville. In 1850, the town’s name was changed to Bentonville in honor of a Missourian who had distinguished himself in service to Alabama in the Creek Indian War of 1814. A town meeting was held in December 1851 and all present were allowed to put their idea for a name in a large top hat. One Mr. Simmons had been reading a biography of Napoleon Bonaparte, who was exiled to the island of Elba, so he entered this name and it was drawn. The name was officially recognized early in 1852 when the State Legislature established a voting precinct including Elba. The same year, Elba was selected to be the county seat of Coffee County by a countywide election. In May 1853, with a population of over 20 persons, Elba elected to become incorporated. The City of Elba is governed by a mayor and 5-member council. Elected officials in 2010 included Mayor James E. Grimes and councilmen: Tom Hooks, Tommy Skinner, H.H. Culver, Harold Spicer and Ronnie Hammond.

Erected by the Alabama Tourisn Deptmant and the City of Elba
November 2010







End of City of Elba