Historic Markers Across Alabama



Arwood School Site



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on County Road 248 west of New Brockton, AL
County: Coffee
Coordinates: N 31° 24.848    W 085° 57.568
  31.41413333    -85.95946666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMR1F5
 



Text:

Established here about 1871 and served as educational, cultural, religious and social center of this community until consolidation in 1934. School land was donated by George and Georgie Arwood. Early teachers included W. E. Andrews, Mrs. M. E. Fleming and Alvin Martin. Some pioneer families of the community were: Allen, Arwood, Barefoot, Bloodsworth, Burkett, Dawkins, Fleming, Flowers, Harper, Helms, Kelley, Lightener, Mixson, Nicholson, O’Neal, Rodgers, Russell, Simons, Story, Trawick, Whittington, Weeks.

Arwood Students and Their Friends







End of Arwood School Site