Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Baptist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: N. Dickson St., Tuscumbia, AL
County: Colbert
Coordinates: N 34° 44.009    W 087° 42.128
  34.73348333    -87.70213333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNBKM
 



Text:

This congregation was organized in July 1823 as Concord Church, later known as Union Church, then as Tuscumbia Baptist. Jeremiah Burns was the first pastor. It began meeting at this site about 1845 in a plain wooden building. The New England-style sanctuary of the present building was erected in 1892. The belfry and rear cross-section, including two balconies, were added about 1903. The entrance was moved from the belfry to the center and a third balcony added in 1954. The stained glass Gothic windows were imported from Czechoslovakia about 1906. The original pipes from the early Moller organ are still visible from the cross-shaped sanctuary and heard in worship today. The Educational Building (north) was built in 1962 and the Fellowship Hall (south) in 1974. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.







End of First Baptist Church