Historic Markers Across Alabama



St. John's Episcopal Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of North Dickson Street and East 3rd Street, Tuscumbia, Alabama
County: Colbert
Coordinates: N 34° 44.061    W 087° 42.12
  34.73435    -87.702
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNBK8
 



Text:

This congregation was organized in the 1830s, with services being held in private homes and the Methodist meeting house. The present building was first used in October 1852 and completed the following year. During the Civil War, Union troops occupied the church and destroyed some of the parish records. St. John's is an early example of the "Carpenter's Gothic" style popular for many Episcopal churches during the mid-19th century. Damaged by a tornado in 1874, the church afterward was refurbished and strengthened with iron tie-rods spanning the nave. Memorial windows also were installed. Concrete buttresses were added in 1956. A tall spire originally topped the belltower.







End of St. John's Episcopal Church