Historic Markers Across Alabama



Colbert County Courthouse Square District



Marker ID:  
Location: intersection of South Main Street and 4th Street, Tuscumbia, Alabamav
County: Colbert
Coordinates: N 34° 44.022    W 087° 42.215
  34.7337    -87.70358333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNBHR
 



Text:

22 structures, first Northwest Alabama historic district placed on National Register of Historic Places (1973): Courthouse, erected 1881, shows Italianate and Greek Revival influences. Fifth Street, Commercial Row, seven adjoining brick structures (late 1840's) housed commission merchants and later "The North Alabamian" Railroad Depot (1888, Tuscumbia Railroad chartered 1830); four churches (Baptist, Episcopal, Methodist, Presbyterian); and eight homes of prominent early citizens ~ some of the earliest buildings surviving of old Tuscumbia (Coldwater founded 1817 above Big Spring).

Erected by Tuscumbia Historic Group.







End of Colbert County Courthouse Square District