Historic Markers Across Alabama



Tuscumbia Big Spring



Marker ID:  
Location: the intersection of S. Main St. and Spring Park Rd., Tuscumbia, Alabama
County: Colbert
Coordinates: N 34° 43.802    W 087° 42.225
  34.73003333    -87.70375
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNC35
 



Text:

Tuscumbia Big Spring Big Spring (average daily flow 35,000,000 gallons) provided water for town founded on its banks. Michael Dickson of Tennessee was first settler (about 1817). Town laid out in 1819 and incorporated as Ococoposo (Cold Water, 1820). Name changed to Tuscumbia (1822) for a Chickasaw Indian. Confederate and Union soldiers camped here intermittently during wartime. (1861~1865). Site of Tennessee Valley Fair in the 1800's, later Colbert County Fair until 1930's. Spring park established in 1919. President Carter opened his reelection campaign here Sept. 1, 1980

Erected 1989 by Tennessee Historical Preservation Board.







End of Tuscumbia Big Spring