Historic Markers Across Alabama



History of Littleville, Alabama



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: 1810 George Wallace Hwy, Russellville, AL
County: Colbert
Coordinates: N 34° 35.312    W 087° 40.591
  34.58853333    -87.67651666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

(side 1)
Capt. Benjamin F. Little, a former Confederate soldier, opened a store here after the railroad from Tuscumbia to Russellville was built in 1887. A train station and several houses were soon erected. A rail spur provided access to nearby iron ore mines. Capt. A.H. Keller owned a sandstone quarry and summer resort called Fern Quarry near Keller Springs just north of the town in the 1880s and 1890s. The stone was used in construction of a blast furnace and commercial buildings in Sheffield. In 1917, Jackson Highway (U.S. Hwy 43) was constructed along the general route of the old Jackson Military Road.


(side 2)
According to local lore, early settler Hezekiah Tharp's wife Nancy was a daughter of Chickasaw Chief George Colbert (the county is named for him and his brother Levi). Ligon Springs, 1~1/2 miles west, was a popular summer resort in the 1870s. The water was advertised as a cure for dropsy, dyspepsia, sore eyes, kidney diseases, etc. By 1910, Littleville had a population of 30. Its merchants were J.D. Bullington, general merchandise; G.W. Hargett, lumber; M.C. Murray, general merchandise; L.O. Breitling, bakery; and C.J. Brockaway, lawyer. The town was incorporated in 1956 and Frank Bullington became the first mayor.

2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Littleville.







End of History of Littleville, Alabama