Historic Markers Across Alabama



City of Evergreen



Marker ID: ATD 
Location: 131 East Front Street, Evergreen, AL
County: Conecuh
Coordinates: N 31° 25.973    W 086° 57.32
  31.43288333    -86.95533333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNGK2
 



Text:

City of Evergreen
The Emerald City


(Side 1)
Evergreen, the county seat of Conecuh County, is located in the central part of the county on the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. Founded in 1819 by James Cosey, George Andrews and the Clough Brothers, Evergreen was originally known as "Cosey’s Old Field." Reverend Alexander Travis, the uncle of William Barrett Travis, from the famous Battle of the Alamo, came along and began calling it Evergreen. Evergreen had a population of 500 in 1870. It was incorporated on March 28, 1875. At the 2000 census, the population was 3,630.


(Side 2)
The name "Conecuh" comes from the Muscogee Native American word "econneka," meaning "land of cane," which refers to the great amounts of native cane that once grew in the area. Evergreen was made famous by decorating the White House with smilax for President Grover Cleveland, which was the basis for the previous motto, "Evergreen Decorates America." Having an abundance of nature’s own green foliage led to Evergreen’s present motto, "The Emerald City."

2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Evergreen.







End of City of Evergreen