Historic Markers Across Alabama



Old Federal Road



Marker ID:  
Location: on Old Federal Road (County Road 5) south of County Road 42, vergreen, AL
County: Conecuh
Coordinates: N 31° 38.194    W 087° 8.204
  31.63656666    -87.13673333
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: WMNJD9
 



Text:

Site of Fort Warren, built in 1816 by Colonel Richard Warren, who owned considerable land in this vicinity. This facility was used as a refuge for settlers who feared for their lives in the early days of the aftermath of the Creek Indian Wars of 1812-1814.

1998 by Monroe County Heritage Museum and J. L. Bedsole Foundation.



Notes:

County Road 5 serves as the county line between Monroe and Conecuh Counties. Even though this marker was placed by the Monroe County Heritage Museum it does stand on the Conecuh County side of the road.

One of eight stone markers along the Alabama portion of the Federal road established as a postal route by President Jefferson.



End of Old Federal Road