Historic Markers Across Alabama



Montezuma



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Hwy 84 near River Falls, AL
County: Covington
Coordinates: N 31° 20.63    W 086° 31.48
  31.34398      -86.52482
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On December 18, 1821, the Alabama General Assembly appointed Covington County commissioners William Carter Jr., James R. Mobley, Aaron Lockhart, Henry Jones, and Abel Polk "to fix and designate a suitable place for a seat of Justice, and to contract for, and superintend the erection of such public buildings" as necessary for the use of the county. Originally known as Covington Court House, the county seat was named Montezuma by 1824 and was located on the banks of the Conecuh River near this site. Due to repeated flooding, the seat of justice was moved to present day Andalusia in 1844 and Montezuma was eventually abandoned.







End of Montezuma