Historic Markers Across Alabama



Downtown Square and Veterans Memorial Park



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: t the intersection of 5th Street and 5th Avenue (U.S. 331) on 5th Street, Florala, Alabama
County: Covington
Coordinates: N 31° 0.369    W 086° 19.69
  31.00615    -86.32816666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMN79W
 



Text:

The name Florala came from combining the names of Florida and Alabama. Lake Jackson, located in Florala, is the state's largest natural lake. It is named for Andrew Jackson, who in 1818 camped on the lake with his soldiers while en route to Pensacola. James Edwin Hughes, best known as the "Father of Florala," arrived int he area in December 1865. He created a homestead and began settling this community. Since 1870, the City of Florala, through Florala's Fidelity Masonic Lodge No. 685 and Chapter No. 441 of the Order of the Eastern Star, has served as the home of the World's Oldest Consecutive Annual Masonic Day Celebration. The celebration is in honor of St. John's Day, which is June 24. Florala was incorporated in 1901. The marker and park are dedicated to the brave military men and women who have served and died for this country and the citizens of Florala, past, present, and future.

Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Florala.







End of Downtown Square and Veterans Memorial Park