Historic Markers Across Alabama



Weiss Cottage Cullman's Oldest House



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of 1st Avenue Southeast and 4th Street Southeast, Cullman, Alabama
County: Cullman
Coordinates: N 34° 10.45    W 086° 50.467
  34.17416666    -86.84111666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGR7X
 



Text:

Preservation of this Weiss Cottage was initiated by the Cullman County Historical Society and implemented by the Cullman County Federation of Women’s Clubs, City of Cullman Bicentennial Commission and the City of Cullman Community Development Agency. The landscaping was directed by the Cullman Federation of Garden Clubs.

Dr. Aldo Weiss, practical physician and accoucheur, purchased the property from the Louisville & Nashville Railroad Company in 1875, lived in this house, had his office in it, and kept his goats in the cellar. In 1976, the owner, Mrs. Herman Ruehl, gave the house to the City of Cullman and it was moved from the original site, 206 Sixth Avenue, S. E. to this location as a Bicentennial Project.

This house was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage by the Alabama Historical Commission on January 25, 1977.

Erected 1977 by Cullman County Historical Society.







End of Weiss Cottage Cullman's Oldest House