Historic Markers Across Alabama



Cullman, Alabama



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Arnold Street NE just from 2nd Street NE, Cullman, Alabama
County: Cullman
Coordinates: N 34° 10.802    W 086° 50.626
  34.18003333    -86.84376666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The city of Cullman is the county seat of Cullman County, which had scattered settlers as early as 1823. Called "The Crossroads of the True South," Cullman was founded by Col. Johann Gottfried Cullmann. After fleeing his German homeland and living in Cincinnati, he became a land agent for the North & South Railroad. When he came to the Cullman area, it was similar to the land he left behind, so he encouraged settlers to move with him to Cullman by advertising in German newspapers all over the U.S. In 1873, he arrived with five families to begin a settlement here. As an engineer, he designed the wide streets and laid out the town plat. Over the years, Cullman has excelled as one of the top agricultural and poultry producing counties in Alabama. It has also served as home to three governors: James Folsom Sr., James Folsom Jr., and Guy Hunt.

2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Cullman.







End of Cullman, Alabama