Historic Markers Across Alabama



King Pharr Canning Company Operated Here



Marker ID:  
Location: 412 2nd Ave NE, Cullman, AL
County: Cullman
Coordinates: N 34° 10.898    W 086° 50.658
  34.18163333    -86.8443
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMV07F
 



Text:

King Pharr Canning Company Operated Here
1946~1976


In 1946, the McPhillips family brought King Pharr Canning Company, a major vegetable canning operation to Cullman. Led by chairman Julian B. McPhillips of Mobile, and his two sons Julian L. McPhillips and W. Warren McPhillips (returning from Navy service in the Pacific) the local plant became Cullman's biggest employer, ultimately employing up to 400 people locally, many hundreds more indirectly in harvesting crops, and over 1000 employees in all its plants.

King Pharr Canning Company was headquartered at this location. It canned and shipped thirty three vegetables nationally, including peas, green beans, Irish potatoes, okra, tomatoes, pimentos, sweet potatoes, and blackberries. At its peak in 1959, King Pharr had over 2000 individual growers on contract, and produced 30,000,000 cans annually. King Pharr's impact on the local economy was enormous. It also had plants in Selma, Uniontown, Georgia and Louisiana. The business closed in 1976.

Photo above, 1-r (early 1950's), Warren McPhillips Lilybel & Julian B. McPhillips and Julian L. McPhillips.

Approved by Mayor Max Townson and Cullman City Council, 2014

2014 by the McPhillips family.







End of King Pharr Canning Company Operated Here