Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Baptist Church of Holly Pond



Marker ID:  
Location: US-278 & Wesley Ave., Holly Pond, AL
County: Cullman
Coordinates: N 34° 10.467    W 086° 37.071
  34.17445    -86.61785
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMV2MP
 



Text:

FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
HOLLY POND


First Baptist Church of Holly Pond was organized in 1885 as Holly Pond Missionary Baptist Church. Charter members included the families of P.R. Tennison, William Jefferson Hazelwood, Bill House, Seaborn Shaw, and Isaac Barnett. Over the course of the Church's life, the congregation worshipped in three different locations and five different sanctuaries. The first, destroyed by fire in 1895, was a wood-framed structure located in the triangle formed by Hwy 278 and Blountsville Road. The second, destroyed by a wind storm in 1914, was a wood-framed building located 1/10 mile west of the first site. The third sanctuary was white, wood-framed, and located at the triangle formed by Hwy 278 and New Hope Road, as was the fourth, a brick, Georgia Colonial structure built in 1939. The last was built on this site in 1978, the same year the church's name was changed to First Baptist. Many preachers and missionaries have been sent from here to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Dedicated October 2015 on the occasion of the church's 130th anniversary.

Holly Pond Historical Society & Alabama Historical Association







End of First Baptist Church of Holly Pond