Historic Markers Across Alabama



Pea River Electric Membership Corporation



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on route 10 between Pete Smith Rd and Co. Rd. 41, Blue Springs, AL
County: Dale
Coordinates: N 31° 39.831    W 085° 30.337
  31.66385    -85.50561666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMH46M
 



Text:

The Pea River Electric Membership Corporation was energized at this site on June 8, 1939. This rural electric cooperative was organized under an executive order signed by President F. D. Roosevelt on May 11, 1935.

Rural members of Barbour, Dale and Henry counties gathered on this bridge to witness the beginning of electric service into their rural areas when 301 homes and businesses received power for the first time. The organizing directors were S. K. Adams, J. G. Sanders, Lloyd Smith, J. Y. Johnston, L. A. Pitts, R. W. Ward and H. J. Thompson. Corporation attorney was P. C. Clayton; manager was A. B. Robertson, Sr. The co-op's name was changed to Pea River Electric Cooperative on June 10, 1949.

(Erected by Pea River Electric Cooperative, Inc. May 1985)







End of Pea River Electric Membership Corporation