Historic Markers Across Alabama



Daleville



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: front of the Daleville Cultural and Convention Center, Daleville, AL.
County: Dale
Coordinates: N 31° 17.866    W 085° 43.244
  31.29776666    -85.72073333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAVJB
 



Text:

Originally called Dale Court House. County Seat of Dale County 1831-41. William Harper, Probate Judge. Dale County originally included: present Coffee County until 1841, present Geneva County until 1868, part of Houston County until 1903. Dale County named for General Sam Dale, foremost pioneer guide, scout, messenger, leader of settlers through Creek and Choctaw Nations of Southeast and Gulf Coast. General Dale, cautious and cool in emergencies, was the right arm of frontiersmen and settlers. He led Tombigbee troops in Creek War, 1813-14, was messenger of British invasion and defeat, 1814-15, led Alabama Territorial Militia in Seminole War, 1818, served in Alabama Legislature from Monroe County, 1819-30.



Notes:

This marker was in storage. It was re-erected in 2010 near the new Daleville City Hall, located near the intersection of US Hwy 84 and Daleville Avenue



End of Daleville