Historic Markers Across Alabama



Newton Town on the Hill - 1843 / Newton - Third County Seat of Dale County



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on Alabama Highway 134, Newton, Alabama.
County: Dale
Coordinates: N 31° 20.114    W 085° 36.255
  31.33523333    -85.60425
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK27C
 



Text:

Newton Town on the Hill - 1843


Newton was hub of Dale County activities from 1843 until 1870. During War Between the States (1861-1865), Newton was center of recruiting, including the Home Guards. In March 1865, local militia repulsed attack by band of irregulars. Board of Physicians established 1856 to issue licenses. The Southern Star first published here in 1867. Newton was port for river boats (until railroad built in 1890), home of Killebrew's Mill, Kill Kare Kamp, Methodist Academy, and Baptist Collegiate Institute (operating 1898-1929).

Newton - Third County Seat of Dale County


In 1841, the west half of Dale County became Coffee County, thereby making the county seat at Daleville off-center. Five commissioners were appointed and they selected this site south of the Choctawhatchee River, which the legislature named "Newton" and designated the county seat on February 9, 1843. In this "new town" a wooden courthouse and a log jail were built. The courthouse burned March 22, 1869, and the county seat was changed to Ozark in 1870.
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Dale County Historical Society, 1979.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  May 27, 1979



End of Newton Town on the Hill - 1843 / Newton - Third County Seat of Dale County