Historic Markers Across Alabama



Ozark Baptist Church / Church Pastors



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on the grounds of the church, 314 South Union Avenue, Ozark, Alabama.
County: Dale
Coordinates: N 31° 27.379    W 085° 38.406
  31.45631666    -85.6401
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMH4JM
 



Text:

Ozark Baptist Church


This church was organized August 23, 1848, under the leadership of Reverend U. H. Parker at the home of William Andrews, two miles east of Ozark, and was called Andrews Church. It was renamed Union Baptist Church in 1852 and Ozark Baptist Church in 1902. The original building was erected in 1852 on land donated by Moses Matthews, near the church's present site. In 1882 a larger facility was built and another in 1902 to meet the growing membership’s needs. The present sanctuary was constructed in 1955 and the multipurpose building in 1988. Two major mission efforts have been the sponsorship of Ridgecrest and Logan Baptist Churches in Ozark.

Erected by The Ozark Baptist Church and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1998.

Church Pastors


Served between 1848 and 1899: U. H. Parker, L. R. Sims, Daniel Cumby, T. S. Due, W. H. Howell, Caswell S. Smith, Zachariah Harris, Pitt M. Calloway, James M. Poyner, Ransom Deal, P. L. Moseley, H. C. Hurley, J. W. Dickerson, Ransom Deal. Served between 1900 to the present: J. J. Haygood, 1900-03; J. S. Yarborough, 1905-06; J. L. Thompson, 1907-08; J. M. Anderson, 1909-10; A. L. Blizzard, 1910-11; M. L. Harris, 1912-17; J. B. Lasseter, Jr., 1919-22; R. W. Langham, 1923-24; T. W. Talkington, 1924-27; H. O. Hughes, 1928-29; Noble Y. Beall, 1930-32; C. W. Milford, 1932-40; John B. Johnson, 1940-47; Charles H. Landers, 1948-56; L. Don Miley, 1957-70; Ronald J. Heddle, 1971-79; James C. Wayne, 1980-86; P. T. Bailey, 1987-90; John F. Lindsey, 1991-95; Gregory Aman, 1995 to present. Erected by The Ozark Baptist Church and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1998.

Erected by The Ozark Baptist Church and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1998.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  January 1, 1998



End of Ozark Baptist Church / Church Pastors