Historic Markers Across Alabama



Peniel Baptist Church 1852-2004



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 2710 County Road 41, Skipperville, Alabama, at the intersection of Dale County Roads 41 and 68
County: Dale
Coordinates: N 31° 36.673    W 085° 29.822
  31.61121666    -85.49703333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK277
 



Text:

PENIEL BAPTIST CHURCH 1852-2004


Listed below are the known pastors of Peniel Baptist Church since its establishment about 1852. Middleton Brooks, S. Hargrove, W. A. Cumbie, Ransom C. Deal, Sr., R. Cass Deal, R. B. Arnold, J. W. Phillips, F. M. Shirah, M. A. Smith, A. J. Renfroe, A. M. Glover, B. J. Marshall, J. E. Plant, M. J. Walding, Charles C. Baker, Gary Carter, L. D. Woodham, Sr., Bobby Andrews, A. T. Arnold, W. A. Baker, John Payne, Bruce Cooper, John W. Helton, Jr., Ray Wren, and Timothy McCraney.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Peniel Baptist Church, June 13, 2004.

PENIEL BAPTIST CHURCH


On June 13, 1854, William A. Stanford deeded land to the Missionary Baptist Church at Peniel. The deed was granted to Starkey Stuckey, the deacon authorized to represent the church for this transaction. According to the original deed, a lightwood stake, near the graves, marked the eastern boundary of the property, consisting of one acre, and ninety-nine 23/25 hundredths of an acre. The first split-log church was torn down in 1876 and a second church was built at a cost of $50. A third church was built in 1901. M. J. Walding was the pastor when the present church was built in 1954, using lumber and materials salvaged from the 1901 church building.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Peniel Baptist Church, June 13, 2004.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  June 13, 2004



End of Peniel Baptist Church 1852-2004