Historic Markers Across Alabama



Pleasant Grove Primitive Baptist Church / Elders of Pleasant Grove Primitive Baptist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: West Broad Street near Carroll High School in Ozark, Alabama
County: Dale
Coordinates: N 31° 27.492    W 085° 37.498
  31.4582    -85.62496666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMH4K7
 



Text:

Pleasant Grove Primitive Baptist Church


Pleasant Grove Primitive Baptist Church, first called Zion Hill, was organized on August 28, 1841 on a site two miles east of here on land given by the Carroll Family. Most of the charter members were settlers from the Carolinas who brought their church letters with them. The Carroll Cemetery is still located at the old site. In 1878, James and Nancy Bottoms gave the land where the church now stands. During its existence, the church has been served by 20 pastors with Elder S. W. Etheredge serving the longest, 1929-1985. Services have been held continuously since its founding, excluding the Civil War years, 1861-1865. The church is a member of the Choctawhatchee Association.

Erected by the Pleasant Grove Primitive Baptist Church and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 2000.
Elders of Pleasant Grove Primitive Baptist Church


C. Curry 1841-1845 Joel Pate 1846-1849 N. M. Pellum 1854-1854 (8 months) D. S. Hood 1855-1857 Jesse Tomlin 1867-1868, 1872-1873 C. S. Pellum 1873-1875 A. Pellum 1874-1875 J. W. Parker 1875-1897 Lee Hanks 1888-1894 J. E. W. Henderson 1898-1910 Jesse Brown 1910-1916 J. J. Byrd 1915 (6 months) W. J. Hull 1916-1918 J. J. Byrd 1918-1919 A. H. Henderson 1919-1920 W. J. Hull 1920-1921 J. J. Turnipseed 1921-1923 T. E. McGown 1923-1926 J. J. Turnipseed 1926-1929 S. W. Etheredge 1929-1985 Freddy A. Averett 1985-

Erected by the Pleasant Grove Primitive Baptist Church and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 2000




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  January 1, 2000



End of Pleasant Grove Primitive Baptist Church / Elders of Pleasant Grove Primitive Baptist Church