Historic Markers Across Alabama



Richmond - First County Seat - Henry County / Richmond - First County Seat - Dale County



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: near Mount Pleasant Baptist Church on Alabama Highway 134, two miles northeast of Midland City, Alabama.
County: Dale
Coordinates: N 31° 19.527    W 085° 26.331
  31.32545    -85.43885
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK1FJ
 



Text:

Richmond - First County Seat - Henry County


Henry County was created December 13, 1819; David Caldwell first Probate Judge, held court in homes of early settlers. Richmond was selected in 1822 for first county seat. Creation of Dale County (in 1824, from western part of Henry County and other lands), resulted in removal of Henry County seat to Columbia. In 1826, Henry County was authorized to levy a tax to help pay Robert Irwin and Pelatiah Whitehurst for building a "courthouse and jail" at Richmond.
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Dale County Historical Society, 1979.
Richmond - First County Seat - Dale County


Dale County, created December 22, 1824, had Lewis Hutchinson appointed September 24, 1825, as first Probate Judge replacing Pelatiah Whitehurst who lived in Henry County. Richmond was annexed to Dale County in January, 1826, with Dale to share cost of "Courthouse and jail." Dale court was held in "Old Courthouse" at Richmond until new site selected. On January 12, 1830, records show, "The seat of justice of Dale County is hereby permanently established at Daleville."
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Dale County Historical Society, 1979.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  April 29, 1979



End of Richmond - First County Seat - Henry County / Richmond - First County Seat - Dale County