Historic Markers Across Alabama



Salem Baptist Church / Salem Baptist Church Pastors



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 3336 CR 23 at the Dale/Barbour County line south of Blue Springs
County: Dale
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Salem Baptist Church


This church was organized August 3, 1868, under a brush arbor, by Elias John McLendon and John Bradley. The first building was a log house near the cemetery west of the Edd Dykes's place. First known an "Antioch" the church was later named Salem. On September 6, 1871 one acre of land for the church was purchased and another two acres adjoining this property was donated by Reverend John Bradley, the first pastor. Construction on the present church was begun in 1903 and various modifications have been made over the years.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Salem Baptist Church, 1995.

Salem Baptist Church Pastors


John Bradley, Hargrove D. Cumbie, R. B. Arnold, J. E. Smoots, C. C. Kirkland, J. Alfred Phillips, J. W. Phillips, H. Gunter, R. C. Deal, R. W. Stuckey, J. E. Franks, J. R. Byrd, F. M. Shirah, Eddie Johnson, W. S. Dean, C. W. Stutts, W. C. Henson, A. B. Conant, J. B. Johnson, A. O. Martz, Kiedell Thomas, Harvey W. Beasley, William A. Baker, Bobby Andrews, Johnny B. Spurling, Clyde Hancock, Jim Mitchell and present pastor, Dean Gatch.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Salem Baptist Church, 1995.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  April 14, 1996



End of Salem Baptist Church / Salem Baptist Church Pastors