Historic Markers Across Alabama



Daleville, Alabama



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: on South Daleville Avenue (Alabama Route 85) south of Jennifer Lynn Drive, Daleville, Alabama
County: Dale
Coordinates: N 31° 17.866    W 085° 43.244
  31.29776666    -85.72073333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Daleville, originally called Dale, was the county seat of Dale County from 1831-1841. William Harper was probate judge of Dale County, which was originally included in present-day Coffee County until 1841, present-day Geneva County until 1868, and part of Houston County until 1903. Dale County was named for General Sam Dale, foremost pioneer guide scout, messenger, and leader of settlers through the Creek and Choctaw nations of the Southeast and Gulf Coast. Noted for being cautious and cool in emergency situations, he was the right arm of frontiersmen and settlers. He led Tombigbee troops in the Creek War of 1813-1814. General Dale was also the messenger of the British Invasions and Defeat from 1814-1815. He led Alabama Territorial Militia in the Seminole War in 1818 and served in the Alabama Legislature representing Monroe County from 1813-1850.

Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Daleville.







End of Daleville, Alabama