Historic Markers Across Alabama



Ozark's Role in the Origin of Fort Rucker



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: At the corner of Union Ave and Reynolds St., Ozark, AL
County: Dale
Coordinates: N 31° 27.507    W 085° 38.405
  31.45845    -85.64008333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMH24P
 



Text:

In the mid-1930s, several Ozarkians including Congressman Henry B. Steagall and Jesse Adams, editor of The Southern Star, led in the acquisition by the U.S. Government of 35,000 acres of land in the southwest quadrant of Dale County. In 1941, with World War II threatening, the same Ozark leadership persuaded the War Department to use the 35,000 acres as the nucleus of a 64,000-acre Infantry Division training post. The camp, which eventually became the Army Aviation Center and a permanent “Fort,” was named after Confederate General Edmund Winchester Rucker.







End of Ozark's Role in the Origin of Fort Rucker