Historic Markers Across Alabama



Early Ozark



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: At the corner of Union Ave and Reynolds St., Ozark, AL
County: Dale
Coordinates: N 31° 27.507    W 085° 38.405
  31.45845    -85.64008333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMH24E
 



Text:

From 1824, when Dale County was created by an act of the Alabama Legislature, until 1870, the area now comprising the “City of Ozark” was gradually settled mostly by farmers who came and bought the former Indian lands from the U.S. Government. In 1855 Elijah T. Matthews bought a country store located on the hill at the north end of Union Street. He became the postmaster for the area and selected the name “Ozark” after the Ozark Indians in Arkansas and Missouri. On October 27, 1870, the Alabama Legislature incorporated the City of Ozark.







End of Early Ozark