Historic Markers Across Alabama



Baptist Collegiate Institute



Marker ID:  
Location: 209 Oates Dr, Newton, AL
County: Dale
Coordinates: N 31° 19.857    W 085° 35.764
  31.33095    -85.59606666
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: WMKAXH
 



Text:

Organized in 1898 under the Christian leadership of A. W. Tate and Newton Baptist Church. The property was later given to the Baptists of southeast Alabama, adopted by nine Baptist Associations. In 1907 Baptist State Convention agreed to accept the school as a gift and received the deed in 1908. Financial support by the Convention began in 1912. It operated as a high school and junior college from 1921 - 1929 when it closed due to lack of funds.
Presidents serving from 1917 - 1929 were: J. J. Yarborough, L. F. Rutledge, W. G. Johnston, L. A. Lowry, A. C. Anderson, R. W. Langham, C. V. Cheves, P. W. Lett, and C. H. Turner.
Its students brought its Christian influence into all walks of life.







End of Baptist Collegiate Institute