Historic Markers Across Alabama


Marker ID: AHC 
County: Dallas
Waymark: None


Cahaba, originally Cahawba, was the first permanent capitol of Alabama from 1820-1826. After severe flooding the capitol was moved to Tuscaloosa, however, Cahaba remained the county seat of Dallas County & during the 1840's & 1850's was a commercial, social & shipping center of the rich Black Belt area. In 1865 another flood inundated the town & in the following year the county seat was moved to Selma. Cahaba slowly began to die after that & by the late 1800's was a ghost town. This may have been the site of the Indian village Casiste visited in 1540 by DeSoto and the fort built c. 1730 by the French merchant Crozart. National Register of Historic Places 5-8-1973.

End of Cahaba