Historic Markers Across Alabama

Fairoaks (Henderson House)

Marker ID: AHC 
Location: at the intersection of Union Street and Furniss Avenue, Selma, Alabama
County: Dallas
Coordinates: N 32° 24.66    W 087° 1.742
  32.411    -87.02903333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None


This Greek revival mansion was built c. 1855 for William B. King & named "Fairoaks" for the many trees found about the place. King was the nephew of Vice President William Rufus King, Ann B. Wilson, a half-sister of the builder, inherited it & in 1862 sold it to Judge Franklin W. Siddons.

During the Civil War & following the Battle of Selma the property was occupied by Wilson's Raiders & used as a hospital for Union soldiers. The Siddons family was allowed to occupy two upstairs rooms at this time. William Pressley Welch purchased the place from the Siddons in 1887 & it remained in his family almost 100 years. In 1980 the house was in a poor state of repair & was acquired by the City of Selma as part of downtown stabilization program. The Alabama Historical Commission provided U.S. Department of the Interior funds which assisted with the City's purchase & the later restoration.

Circle "S" Industries, Inc. purchased the property in April, 1981 & restored the house & its original dependencies.

On March 12, 1982 the mansion was officially dedicated in honor of Ethel Henderson Striplin, a long time Selma resident. Now called: Henderson House.

(Erected 1983 by the City of Selma)

End of Fairoaks (Henderson House)