Historic Markers Across Alabama



Prosperity Cemetery



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Dallas County 189, Marion Junction, AL
County: Dallas
Coordinates: N 32° 24.320    W 087° 12.55
  32.40533333    -87.20916666
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: WMXFHF
 



Text:

Prosperity Cemetery


Prosperity Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church Cemetery is the resting place of many members of the church from 1846 until 1961. The Church was organized in 1822 by Isaac Grier. A church building stood on this site from 1844 until 1891, constructed on five acres of land donated by William Johnston. The cemetery includes the graves of two early pastors, Rev. James M. Young 1844-67) and Dr. James A. Lowry (1867-98). Dr. Lowry previously served as a Confederate chaplain. His is one of several veterans' graves in the cemetery, which also includes that of James Chisolm, who died June 16. 1864, as a result of wounds received at the Battle of Atlanta.

Alabama Historical Association – 1996



Notes:

The marker has gone missing. Last noticed in May, 2014.



End of Prosperity Cemetery