Historic Markers Across Alabama

Selma Historic and Civic Building

Marker ID: AHA 
County: Dallas
Waymark: None


Central Alabama Masonic Institute of Alabama acquired property, 1847, and erected building. Used as female academy. Confederate hospital during Civil War. Dallas County Courthouse on removal of county seat from Cahaba, 1866-1901. Presbyterian high school for boys early 1900's. Acquired by Vaughan Estate, 1904. Vaughan Memorial Hospital, in memory of Samuel Watkins Vaughan, MD, 1911-1960. 1969, under Mayor Joseph T. Smitherman, City of Selma purchased property. Dallas County and City restored original structure.

End of Selma Historic and Civic Building