Historic Markers Across Alabama



Reverse: Highlights of Selma History



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: 222 Broad Street, Selma, AL
County: Dallas
Coordinates: N 32° 24.589    W 087° 1.255
  32.40981666    -87.02091666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Dallas County was created by Territorial Legislature Feb. 9, 1818. Selma Land Company formed Mar. 19, 1819 by George Phillips, William Rufus King, Jesse Beene, Gilbert Shearer and Caleb Tate. Selma incorporated Dec. 4, 1820. LaFayette visited 1825. First newspaper established 1827. Dallas County Male and Female Academy incorporated 1845-was the forerunner of public school system. Selma Arsenal and Confederate Naval Yard established 1862. Battle of Selma won by Union forces and most of city burned 1865. First non-rail bridge over Alabama River opened 1885. Both U.S. Senators, Morgan and Pettus, were from Selma 1897-1907. Craig Field established 1940. Civil Rights demonstrations in 1965 culminated in Selma to Montgomery march which influenced passage of 1965 Civil Rights Act.

(Erected 1981 by Selma-Dallas County Historic Preservation Society)







End of Reverse: Highlights of Selma History