Historic Markers Across Alabama



Water Avenue



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: at the intersection of Water Avenue and Washington Street, Selma, Alabama
County: Dallas
Coordinates: N 32° 24.405    W 087° 1.088
  32.40675    -87.01813333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNAMC
 



Text:

Selma's Water Avenue is one of the finest surviving examples of a 19th century riverfront street in the lower south. Located here are structures which reflect the architectural trends in commercial buildings from the 1830's to 1900.

This was the main business artery of one of central Alabama's major commercial centers. During the Civil War Selma was the Confederacy's most important military depot in the lower south. The arsenal & naval foundry were located here & the St. James Hotel provided housing for officers & personnel. When

Federal forces occupied Selma in 1865 all of the war-supporting industries & much of the city were burned. Following the war, cotton speculation created a boom (1870-1890) & new buildings replaced the burned ones. National Register of Historic Places, 12-26-72.







End of Water Avenue