Historic Markers Across Alabama



Mabry-Jones Home



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: at the intersection of Tremont Street and McLeod Avenue, Selma, Alabama
County: Dallas
Coordinates: N 32° 24.762    W 087° 1.622
  32.4127    -87.02703333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This Greek Revival dwelling was built c. 1850 by Dr. Albert Gallatin Mabry, a prominent physician & member of the Alabama legislature. Dr. Mabry was a leader in organizing the Alabama State Medical Association & instrumental in passing legislation which established the State's first hospital for the insane. This home was the residence during & after the War Between the States of Dr. Mabry's stepdaughter, Gertrude Tartt Jones, & her husband, Captain Catesby ap Roger Jones, a Confederate naval hero. Captain Jones was in charge of the Confederate Naval Foundry at Selma, but is best remembered for commanding the C.S.S. Virginia (Merrimac) on the second day of her engagement with the U.S.S. Monitor at Hampton Roads, Virginia.

(Erected 1981)







End of Mabry-Jones Home