Historic Markers Across Alabama



Mount Carmel Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 3098 Dallas County 12, Sardis, AL
County: Dallas
Coordinates: N 32° 9.931    W 086° 54.494
  32.16551666    -86.90823333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMM724
 



Text:

A Cumberland Presbyterian church named Mt. Pleasant was organized here about 1821 by Rev. William James Moor, a missionary from the Elk Presbytery of Tennessee. Renamed Mount Carmel in 1827, this church provided early leadership for the Ala. Presbytery of the C.P. Church. The present structure was built in 1852. Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church, PCUS, was formed in 1873 and shared this building with Mount Carmel, which was defunct by 1900. Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church, defunct by 1935, was dissolved in 1963. A Pleasant Hill Cemetery Assoc. was formed in 1972 to care for the churchyard.







End of Mount Carmel Church