Historic Markers Across Alabama



Cahaba First State Capital 1818-1826



Marker ID:  
Location: on Capitol Avenue near Vine Street, in the median, Cahaba, Alabama
County: Dallas
Coordinates: N 32° 19.044    W 087° 5.808
  32.3174    -87.0968
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This stone marks the site of Cahaba, selected November 21, 1818 as the first permanent capital of Alabama. The seat of goverment remaining here until removed to Tuscaloosa by the Legislature, January 1825.

On December 13, 1819, it was fixed as the Seat of Justice of Dallas County, and so continued until December 14, 1865.

As state capital and as county seat, Cahaba was representative of the best in the life of a Great Commonwealth.

Erected by the Alabama Centennial Commission and by the Citizens of Dallas County, and Dedicated November 11, 1919.








End of Cahaba First State Capital 1818-1826