Historic Markers Across Alabama



Saltmarsh Hall



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on 1st Street North, Cahaba, Alabama
County: Dallas
Coordinates: N 32° 19.098    W 087° 5.79
  32.3183    -87.0965
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In the late 1850s, Cahaba experienced a building boom. Everyone expected the town to prosper because of the new railroad. One of the first large brick structures built in this prosperous period was completed in 1856 by Dr. Saltmarsh.
He wanted the town to have a large hall for public occasions. The second floor was fitted up as a concert or exhibition hall. Many fancy dress balls were held here.
A small cellar from this structure is still visible today.

Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.







End of Saltmarsh Hall