Historic Markers Across Alabama



St. Luke's Episcopal Church



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on Vine Street, Cahaba, Alabama
County: Dallas
Coordinates: N 32° 18.99    W 087° 5.82
  32.3165    -87.097
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

St. Luke's was consecrated in 1854. It was an outstanding example of the Gothic Revival style, popular at the time. The contractor closely followed designs in a widely circulated book, Rural Architecture, published in 1852 by the celebrated architect Richard Upjohn.
In 1878, after the decline of the town, the church was moved 11 miles to Martin's Station Alabama. Over a hundred years later archaeologists were able to uncover the footprint of the structure that once stood here, compare it to the measurements of the church in Martin's Station, and confirm the building's original location. A layer of soil was then brought in to protect the site and to illustrate the layout of the church.

Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.







End of St. Luke's Episcopal Church