Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Crocheron Columns



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: a walkway at the end of Vine Street at 2nd Street North that leads to the site, Cahaba, Alabama
County: Dallas
Coordinates: N 32° 19.164    W 087° 5.706
  32.3194    -87.0951
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Crocherons were from Staten Island, New York. Richard Conner Crocheron arrived in town about 1837 to help run the family store.

He traveled north for his bride in 1843 after building her this brick home. The back wall adjoined the brick store that had been built by his uncles 20 years earlier. The front porch had a magnificent view of two rivers. The columns you see today were once part of a side portico.

The family owned a line of ocean-going steamers and they escaped the summer heat by returning north each year. When his wife died in 1850, R. C. was heart-broken. He sold his property, freed his slaves, and returned to New York with his three little children.

Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.








End of The Crocheron Columns