Historic Markers Across Alabama



Arsenal Place 1862 CSA 1865



Marker ID: UDC 
Location: at the intersection of Arsenal Place and Church Street, Selma, Alabama
County: Dallas
Coordinates: N 32° 24.349    W 087° 1.29
  32.40581666    -87.0215
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This memorial marks the site of the Arsenal, a unit of the Great Ordnance Works in Selma destroyed by the Union Army April 6, 1865.

These ordnance works stood second only to those of Richmond in the manufacture of war materials for the Confederate States of America.

The work of the several thousand men, women, and children who served at the Arsenal has passed into History.

May this Memorial kindle anew in succeeding generations a patriotism founded on the knowledge of the deeds of their forefathers, whose courage, heroism and self-denial won the admiration of the world.

(Left Side Plaque):
Captain Catesby ap R. Jones,
Commander of Ordnance Works.

Lieutenant Colonel James L. White,
Commandant at Arsenal.

Colonel J. C. Moore,
Commandant at Arsenal.

Major J. C. Compton,
Assistant Commandant at Arsenal.

Captain John E. Logwood,
Keeper of Military Stores.

Lieutenant Rittenhouse Moore,
Inspector of Ammunition.

Captain R. M. Nelson,
Inspector of Ammunition.

Captain N. D. Cross,
General Supt. Of the Laboratory.

Captain J. L. Watters,
Inspector of Artillery Equipments.

Lieutenant Portlock,
Inspector of All Iron Works

Erected 1931 by The Alabama Division United Daughters of the Confederacy the Confederacy.







End of Arsenal Place 1862 CSA 1865