Historic Markers Across Alabama



Lee - Bender - Butler House



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Church Street and Parkman Avenue, Selma, Alabama
County: Dallas
Coordinates: N 32° 24.624    W 087° 1.446
  32.4104    -87.0241
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This Greek Revival house was built circa 1850 by Thomas Helm Lee, master builder and owner of early Selma lumber yard. Born in Kentucky, he was the son of Miller Lee of Buckingham County, Virginia and married Mary Jane Blanks of Cahaba in 1839. He died in 1857 and is buried in Live Oak Cemetery. Other buildings credited to him are Sturdivant Hall, circa 1855, and the 1857 Church Street Methodist Church which no longer stands.
The Lee - Bender - Butler house was acquired by the Bender family in 1866 and later bequeathed by a Bender descendant to members of the Butler family in 1947. It was restored in 1982 by Roger and Dolly Butler.

Erected 1995 by Cahaba Trace Commission / Selma Historic Development Commission.







End of Lee - Bender - Butler House