Historic Markers Across Alabama



Main Street Historic District



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: 200 Gault Ave S #1, Fort Payne AL
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 34° 26.408    W 085° 43.414
  34.44013333    -85.72356666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1PNH
 



Text:

The Fort Payne Main Street Historic District developed between 1889 & the 1940s, because of the city’s rapid growth during the hosiery mill industry boom. The increased population needed new commercial & governmental buildings, which were constructed within an approximate one-block radius of the intersection of Gault Avenue & Main (1st) Street, & SW of the earlier commercial (Boom Town) district.

The district is significant for its late 19th & early & mid-20th century commercial & civic architecture, as well as being the main governmental center of DeKalb County & the City of Fort Payne.

The buildings in this district were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1989, the year of the city’s centennial.

(Erected 1989 by Landmarks & the City of Fort Payne)







End of Main Street Historic District