Historic Markers Across Alabama



Fort Payne's Fort



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: U.S. Hwy 11 (Gault Ave.) @ AL Hwy 35 in City Park
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 34° 26.615    W 085° 43.199
  34.44358333    -85.71998333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The fort, consisting of a log house and large stockade, was built in 1838 by order of General Winfield Scott, commander of military forces responsible for the removal of Cherokee Indians.

Soldiers occupying the fort were commanded by Captain John C. Payne, for whom the fort was named.

Indians in the DeKalb County area who refused to move westwards voluntarily were gathered and held in the stockade pending their forceful removal to the Indian territory.

Chimney still standing on site of fort near the railroad at 4th Street S.E.







End of Fort Payne's Fort