Historic Markers Across Alabama



Indian Mound, Inn, and Church Site



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: AL Hwy 68 @ US Hwy 11 in Collinsville
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 34° 15.91    W 085° 51.768
  34.26516666    -85.8628
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMG2P1
 



Text:

Cherokee Indians first inhabited this mound site, subsequently settled by A.H. Lamar, a captian in the Seminole War and first constable (1836) of DeKalb County. Lamar and his Cherokee wife operated trading post and stage coach stop on site, selling the property to Alfred Collins, ca. 1842. Collins, for whom Collinsville was named, built home and operated inn on the stage coach line here between Rome and Guntersville. Daughter Sallie and her husband, G.W. Roberts, became owners in 1886. Collinsville Baptist Church purchased property in 1924, erecting building on site two years later.







End of Indian Mound, Inn, and Church Site