Historic Markers Across Alabama



Cherokee Indian Removal



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Godfrey Avenue and Logan Street Southeast, Fort Payne, Alabama
County: DeKalb
Coordinates: N 34° 26.345    W 085° 43.333
  34.43908333    -85.72221666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Under the provisions of the Cherokee Removal Act of 1830, a log stockade was built, "Two hundred yards Northeast of Big Spring." The spring supplied abundant water for the Cherokees, the soldiers and livestock. Fort Payne was used as both an interment camp and a removal fort. It was built by Capt. James H. Rogers on a site chosen by Capt. John G. Payne. Rogers and 22 soldiers began construction of the fort on April 13, 1838 and remained until the departure of the last group of Cherokees on October 3rd. This group of 1,103 was conducted to Indian Territory by Cherokee leader John Benge. Alabama remains the home of many Cherokee Indians today.

Erected 1998 by The Alabama Indian Affairs Commission.







End of Cherokee Indian Removal