Historic Markers Across Alabama



Elmore County Training School



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: at the black history museum on Lancaster Street, Wetumpka, AL.
County: Elmore
Coordinates: N 32° 33.064    W 086° 12.647
  32.55106666    -86.21078333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Constructed in 1924 on five acres, this building was one of nine schools constructed in Elmore County with funding assistance from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. Between 1912-32, Julius Rosenwald, a Jewish philanthropist and CEO of Sears, Roebuck and Company teamed up with Booker T. Washington and Tuskegee Institute to provide matching grants for the construction of school buildings for African Americans in mostly rural areas of the South. This collaborative effort produced more than 5,000 of these buildings in 15 southern states, 389 of which were constructed in Alabama. In addition to the Rosenwald funding of $1,300, the community, both black and white contributed $5,400 toward the construction of this school. The school grew to six buildings on an eight-acre site before being closed due to integration in 1963. In 1987, the original 1924 building was restored for use as the Elmore County Black History Museum. This building, along with others on the site, was placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 2001.







End of Elmore County Training School