Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Presbyterian Church Wetumpka Alabama



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Elmore Road (Hwy 212) at E. Bridge Street, Wetumpka, AL
County: Elmore
Coordinates: N 32° 32.35    W 086° 12.53
  32.53932    -86.20887
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Founded 1836. Built, 1856, dedicated 1857, combining exterior Gothic style with Greek Revival interior. Original part designed as a rectangular block. Wings were added on eastern and western sides in the middle 1900's. At that time a choir rail replaced original balustraded corner section. The balcony and chandeliers are outstanding. The church has served its members continuously and has been used for civic and patriotic assemblies significant in Wetumpka's history. In 1861 it served as a departure point for the Wetumpka Light Guard upon enlistment in the Confederate Army.

Entered in National Register, Historic Places 1976.







End of First Presbyterian Church Wetumpka Alabama