Historic Markers Across Alabama



Tallassee Confederate Officers Quarters



Marker ID:  
Location: the corner of North Ann Ave. & King St, Tallassee, AL
County: Elmore
Coordinates: N 32° 32.198    W 085° 53.572
  32.53663333    -85.89286666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRD9J
 



Text:

Tallassee Confederate Officers Quarters


In the spring of 1864, the Confederate States of America (CSA) moved the Confederate Armory in Richmond, VA to Tallassee, AL, necessitating new housing for the officers and staff. With the help of the Tallassee Falls Mfg. Company, four houses were built on King Street, at 301, 303, 305, and 307.

The Confederate Armory closed in April 1865 at the end of the Civil War and the Tallassee Falls Mfg. Co. gained possession of the houses. The house at 303 King was demolished when the Bank of Tallassee was built. The other three remain.

After the Civil War, Brigadier-General (CSA) Birkett Davenport Fry (1822-1891) returned to Tallassee to live at 301 King Street until 1880, in his capacity as secretary for the Tallassee Mfg. Co., then successor to the Tallassee Falls Mfg. Co. From 1880 until 1966 it was the residence for the managers of the Tallassee Mills Company Stores. Samuel Hugh Scott (1867-1942) lived there from 1900-1942; Belser Ray Carr (1895-1966) followed from 1942-1966. In 2005, it became the office for The Segrest Law Firm.

Alabama Historical Association







End of Tallassee Confederate Officers Quarters