Historic Markers Across Alabama



Southern Pine Electric Membership Corporation



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: 2988 South Boulevard, Brewton, AL
County: Escambia
Coordinates: N 31° 4.869    W 087° 6.742
  31.08115    -87.11236666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Southern Pine Electric Membership Corporation was energized at this site on September 12, 1939, sending electric power flowing into 75 homes and businesses in rural areas of Escambia, Conecuh, Monroe and Baldwin Counties for the first time. The Cooperative was organized under an Executive Order signed by President F. D. Roosevelt on May 11, 1935. The organizing directors were Ben L. Martin, Jack McGowin, H. W. Pruett, A. M. Coley, C. B. Moore, E. M. Amos and Alvin Mixon. Corporation attorney was Thomas McMillan. Manager was Joe Larkins. The Cooperative's name was changed to Southern Pine Electric Cooperative on September 25, 1940.

Erected 1986







End of Southern Pine Electric Membership Corporation